Toorak College is in an exciting chapter of its journey as it nears 150 years of enriching students’ lives through education. Toorak is an independent school located on the coastline of Mornington Peninsula, providing an outstanding educational experience for students from Early Learning to Year 12. Our holistic academic approach that transcends throughout all age levels, Project Shine, is inspired by explicit teaching of core skills and an inquiry foundation of self-discovery, which ignites a passion for lifelong learning.
At Toorak, we understand the children are inquisitive and curious in nature; constantly seeking ways to make meaning of their world. We appreciate that the early years of schooling are the most crucial for laying foundations, on which children develop habits, participate without reservation and prosper in a breadth of experiences that serve them well for the rest of their lives. Our Early Learning program fosters an individualised learning experience tailored to each child’s cognitive, emotional and social development. With combined approaches of explicit teaching and play-based learning, our children can develop the life skills of resilience and confidence in tandem with academic skills of literacy, numeracy, language, STEM-X and the arts.
Our Junior School is a nurturing and safe environment where each student is encouraged to excel through structured, student-centred programs that enable them to be their personal best. We strongly believe that our difference is adopting small class sizes to help maximise each student’s intellectual, emotional and social development in a supporting and enriching environment. Students are free to explore passions through boundless opportunities of co-curricular activities and an array of curriculum subjects such as STEM-X, language, health and wellbeing, performing and visual arts and sport. students engage in experiences where they can ask questions, be curious and interact with their environment.
The beginning of our Senior School journey is about shining a light on real-world applications of learning through integrating students’ knowledge of different concepts and fields and designing solutions to challenges. This helps to illuminate their understanding of the impact they will make on the world around them. We believe that a holistic approach to education is the best preparation for later in life, giving our girls the independence to manage their lives and studies at university, the communication tools necessary to play an active role in society and the resilience to make their way in our increasingly competitive world.
Toorak College's expansive grounds cover 11.5 hectares, with outstanding facilities, beautiful gardens and breathtaking views of Port Philip Bay.
Our School buildings include:
• State-of-the-art Music Centre with 6 rehearsal spaces, 11 individual lesson rooms and spaces for performances, ensembles, composing and recording using the latest technology.
• The Senior School Library (Norman Carson Library), has portable interactive whiteboards, a multimedia room with desktop mac computers. Floor boxes with power and data points within them; they are constantly in use as our school is a 1:1 laptop environment.
• Multimedia Senior Student Centre with lecture theatre, study areas, breakout rooms, lounge area
• Performance/dance studios
• New Swift Science & Technology Centre with collaborative learning and break out spaces, an outdoor lab, Digizone 3D printing, prototyping facility, and VR pod for full visual immersion.
• Visual Arts Centre and photography room
• Swimming and diving complex
• Athletics track, squash, tennis and basketball courts
• Purpose-built Pre-School Rooms (for 3 year old and 4 year old groups)
• Special purpose Science/technology room in our Junior School.
The boarding program at Toorak has flourished since it began in 1928. Our boarding students reside on our idyllic campus either full-time, weekly or for short stays in the care of our dedicated staff. Our boarding program focuses strongly on the wellbeing of the individual where students can enjoy the wonders of the Mornington Peninsula on weekends and develop strong friendships.