St. Francis Xavier's School is a co-educational School located in central Cairns, approximately 10 minutes from the city centre. Set in the inner-city suburb of Manunda, our community gathers from all parts of the Cairns area.
Described as a happy and community minded School, St. Francis Xavier's works with parents to educate their children in a holistic and Christian way. St. Francis Xavier's strives to live out it's motto - To Know, To Love, To Serve God and each other.
The Curriculum of St. Francis Xavier's School offers:
• An extensive Health & Physical Education program runs throughout the school from Prep to Year 7. Our students do exceptionally well in sports and athletics.
• Whole School Nutrition Program - the school has received awards recognising outstanding accomplishments including the 2005 Brisbane Markets Award, 2006 QST Award. Our Health Hut serves only healthy food all made fresh and the menu is prepared in consultation with a Dietician.
• Homestay & International Student Program - to enhance our LOTE programme and understanding of other cultures, we host a number of international groups throughout the year from Japan, China and the USA. Year 6 & 7 Students visit our Sister School in Taketoyo, Japan every second year and in 2010 we included a visit to the Catholic School at Notre Dame.
• Gifted & Talented Program - students with High Potential are able to access extension activities that will cater for their needs.
• Specialist Music/Performing Arts Program - Prep - Year 7.
• Language other than English (LOTE) - Japanese Prep - Year 7.
• Instrumental Music Programme.
St. Francis Xavier's School encourages students to participate in a range of activities that are available at lunch time, before and after school including:
• Australasian Schools Competition: Science, Mathematics, English & Computer
• Teams for sporting events such as Rugby League, AFL, Hockey, Athletics, Basketball, Cross Country
• International Homestay Program and Cultural Exchange Excursion to Japan (every second year)
• School Band
• Club Activities eg: Robotics, Chess, Origami, Maths Olympiads
• Mini-Vinnies Club - Student Outreach Programme